Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Game 2: I Thought We Were Playing Softball?

First of all, I would like to extend my thanks to those who came out to the game last night. Since it was a later game, there weren't as many families there, but it was still fun to hear the cheers coming from the stands. I hope that the trend continues as it has the first two weeks. We enjoy having people in the seats rooting us on.

The worst part, for me, about playing softball is having to wait a week between games. I know I was looking forward to this game and another chance to have a ton of fun with fellow brothers in Christ. And, that is just what happened.

We played another good game defensively, as we played an entire game pretty much error free. Michael, in what is probably his last game for a while, had a nice running catch coming over from right-center to catch a ball in deep right field at a very important moment in the game. Josh also hauled in a couple of well hit balls in key times. I think we are starting to get some confidence in the field as we have now had two really good games in the field.

On the offensive side of things, we didn't quite match our output of last week, but that would be rather difficult to do week-in and week-out, but we were pretty steady the whole night. We just missed a couple of key hits, and weren't quite able to push as many runs across the plate as we would have liked.

As was the case last week, Nathan did another tremendous job pitching. He came close to snagging a screamer back to the mound, but it was hit so hard it didn't stay in his glove, but we were still able to get an out on the play rather than having it go into center for a clean hit.

There were no big innings for either team is this game, and was unusual considering how pretty much all of our games have gone before. It made for a tightly fought contest and a lot of good fun. Each team scored a run here and there, as I think the most runs scored in an inning for either team was 3, which I wouldn't consider a lot of runs in an inning of softball. We went into our last at bat needing 2 runs to tie, but knowing a couple of extra would be nice since we were the visiting team again. We managed to get a couple of guys on, but not without getting two outs. So with two outs in the top of the inning and runners on 2nd and 3rd, Jim Bob, who had hits in each of his previous at bats of the night was at the plate. We thought for sure we would get the 2 runs we needed to tie and keep things going. Not to put pressure on Jim Bob, but he had hit the ball well each time up, and we were confident that he would do the same again. However, he never got the chance as the opposing team intentionally walked him to load the bases. On the next pitch, the ball hit the corner of the plate and scooted past the catcher, allowing us to get a run home and leaving us down by only 1, but it was called strike two. On the next pitch, Nathan hit a solid grounder up the middle, but the shortstop, who had made several plays throughout the night, may another and got Nathan by a step at first to end the game.

The reason for the title of this post, for those of you that weren't there, comes from this, the final score of the game: WPC 4 vs Covenant Family 5

I think that is the lowest scoring softball game I have ever seen to been part of, but it certainly was fun being in a close game like that. I would have preferred that it had the same outcome as last weeks game, putting another win in the books, but I certainly would not want to give back the fun and fellowship that we had last night on the field in favor of a victory.

I hope to see you all out there next week as we get back to the early start times. We play at 6:15 on Field 1 at Veteran's Park against the Lumberjacks. Let's have some fun...again.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

I'd like to say that Nathan pitched very well, especially in that last inning - getting 3 outs in less than 2 minutes.

I'd also like to apologize for striking out 3 times in softball. It is making me seriously consider a trip to the eye doctor.

Skipper said...

Chin up, young grasshopper, chin up. If you were swinging and missing, I might agree with your assessment. However, you made good solid contact and hit the ball hard, you were just a little early. I think that comes with liking the high pitches. I know it is easier said than done, as I tend to be over anxious myself, but try waiting for the pitch to come down just a little more. I think that would allow you to keep those drives of yours in play. Keep hitting the ball hard, and good things will happen.