Thursday, November 1, 2007

Inconclusive Evidence

A few weeks ago I started a poll in an attempt to get a better feel for possible team names as we move toward next seasons new beginnings. I used a couple of options that I had heard in discussions, our current name, one of my own ideas, and the every popular Other. With the Other category, I was hoping to bring in some new ideas by requesting that those who vote for Other include a comment on the "The Quest" post declaring their preference. There were 5 votes cast for that category and only Austin A. provided his choice (Thank you very much for your vote, Austin).

Based on the voting, we could go with "The Elect" as our new name because it received the most votes, or we could continue with our current name "Westminster Presbyterian Church" because it was only 1 vote behind "The Elect" and therefore there is support for it as well.

Another interesting "candidate" for team name seems to be "Westminster Standards". Although it only received 1 vote in the poll, I heard at least 3 team members supporting it during warm-ups prior to our most recent game. That muddies the waters a little bit now doesn't it.

I hope that this post serves to continue the discussion on this minor topic, and I think it comes down to choosing between "The Elect", "Westminster Standards", and "Westminster Presbyterian Church". I think I have my pick made, but let's see what everyone else has to say.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

I'm going to have to cast my vote for the Standards. Westminster Presbyterian Church is both a mouthful and confusing (we aren't actually an accurate representation of the church now are we), and "The Elect" is just a strange name for a softball team. It seems like most good team names end with an "s". Even the Red Sox and White Sox have an "s" sound implied.

The more I think of it, the more I like it. "The Standards" will look great scripted across the front of a Jersey.

Brian Franklin said...

My vote is also for The Standards. Putting "elect" on the front of a jersey seems a little...I don't know, but it doesn't quite fit.