Friday, March 2, 2007

Game 3: Missed It by That Much

First of all, I would like to thank the diehard fans that showed up to cheer us on last night. Your attendance and enthusiasm are greatly appreciated, especially at 10:15 PM. Also, thank you to all of the guys that were able to make it out to play last night. I know the late games cause problems because most of us either have to work or have classes the next morning/day, so know that I am thankful for your participation. I also hope that those who weren’t able to come out because of illness, whether personal or family, are experiencing recovery from those illnesses. We hope that you can join us next week. As for the old guy (to be read as “responsible”), we look forward to having you back next week as well.

We had another fun game last night, despite the late hour at which this week’s game commenced. We didn’t look quite as rusty as last week, and that is a good sign for things to come.

For those who could not make it out, I would like to give a brief recap:

After we all got up from our naps that we needed in order to stay awake for the game…we managed to have some fun on the softball field. As was the case last week, and will be the case next week, we were the visiting team once again, so we got to bat first. Although we got several runners on base, we weren’t able to get any of them home, and it was a fairly quick half inning. Our first inning in the field would have gone much better if it hadn’t been for a couple of throwing errors from the hot corner (in softball maybe “lukewarm corner” is more accurate). Despite my best efforts, the other team was only able to put 4 on the board before the other guys on the team got the three outs we needed to end the inning. Our next at bat didn’t go much better than the first, and we were back in the field again. We probably would have held them to just a couple, but I thought I would be sneaky and I decided to play catch with Trent out in right field to see if the runner was paying attention. Turns out he was, so when I threw the ball over Andrew at second and into right field he ran, and scored. When the inning was over, we found ourselves down 0-8. Turns our we had a good inning in us after 10:00 PM after all, as we put up 6 runs in our turn at bat, and that was even with Trent getting sniped on his way to third, or was it the sand monster, I’m not sure. He did manage to make it to the base safely, despite his tumble. Although we held the other team to only one more run after the first two innings, we were unable to put together enough hits to get the runs we needed to catch them. We almost got ourselves one more chance, but time ran out on us with two outs in the bottom of the last inning, and the game was called.

There were several good plays made, particularly in the outfield (I don’t think a single ball was dropped), and the infield did a fine job, as well (with the exception of the plays noted above). There were a couple of times when I thought we were going to be able to pull it out, but we just ran out of time. It will certainly be nice when we are the home team in a couple of weeks. We will have that honor for the last four games, which is a nice way to finish the regular season.

When the time ran out, the other team got the W as the final score was WPC 6 vs. Still Defeated 9

There is something about 10:15 PM games that doesn’t work well for us. We have never, as a modern era (since it was started back up) WPC softball team, won a 10:15 game, and this week was the closest as far as the score is concerned. The good news is next week we play at 9:15, and we haven’t lost a 9:15 game since our first season back in the summer of ’05.

We are now 1-2 on the season. I will post the updated standings once they are available. We should have another fun game next week as we try to get back to .500. I hope to see you all out there.

3 comments:

Joshua Butcher said...

I had a dropped ball in the outfield that I should have had, for the record. And I also threw a ball over Nathan's head.

Skipper said...

I believe that was on a diving/sliding attempt, though, so I didn't count that as a drop. If you had a bigger glove, you might have held on to it. I will give you credit for the overthrow, so that at least it wasn't ALL my fault that we lost.

Andrew said...

You forgot to mention me eating it as the cut-off man trying to relay a throw home.

If only I could have planted, I know I would have had time to make the throw. Instead, I found myself staring up at the stars and wondering why I didn't wear a thicker butt pad that night.