Friday, March 23, 2007

Game 5: Home Sweet Home

Thank you to all of those who were able to come out for the game last night. It was nice having an earlier game so that more family could be there, too. I know I enjoy and appreciate hearing the fans (wives, children, friends, etc.) cheering us on, and you guys do a great job.

We finally had a home game, and it was definitely much better knowing throughout the game that we would get the last at bat if we needed it. It also allowed us to get into the flow of the game with an inning in the field before we had to hit. I could get used to being the home team, and we get three more chances to take advantage of it in our next three game.

Once again, we only had 11 guys available to play last night, and it was most interesting because that group did not include our two regular pitchers. It also forced us to have a few guys play some different positions, which was…uummm…exciting.

For those who could not make it out, I would like to give a brief recap:

As I mentioned before, we were the home team for the first time all season, so we were able to play the field for an inning before our first at bat. I think that is going to be good for us as we finish out the regular season as the home team in each of our remaining games. Although the visiting team managed to put 3 runs on the board in their first at bat, we answered back with 3 of our own to tie it up, and that was just the beginning for us. After a good overall hitting performance, we went into the last inning with a nice lead. Of course, due to a few defensive mishaps (did I mention guys were playing out of position), and the fact that we don’t seem to like games that aren’t close, we decided to let them back within reach before getting the final out.

At the plate, we had a very good night. Well, all of us except for one. One of the few guys who has hit well all season, even when the rest of us haven’t, just couldn’t find the holes last night. Chin up, Charles, chin up. Kyle had a nice two RBI single in our first at bat to tie the score. Josh hit a nice line drive over the center fielder for his usual inside the park homer, which I believe came with the bases loaded if I remember correctly. It was nice to have a good night at the plate, and I hope the trend continues.

In the field, we had some good times and some not so good, but we got the outs when we needed to.
Good: Kyle, playing the 5 in this game, made a nice diving effort for a grounder down the line, but couldn’t quite grab it. It was a great effort, and I was very grateful that he came up unscathed and didn’t break anything (like his hand, just ask Chris Peterson).
Not So Good: Andrew and I had a fight of the bag at 2nd when trying to turn two, but in our effort to get to the base neither of us caught the ball.
Good: Kevin had a nice grab in right field on a nicely hit ball.
Not So Good: I had several easy grounders (2 were perfect double play balls) that just wouldn’t stay in my glove.
Good: Josh retired the side unassisted in one inning, making three nice grabs in the outfield.

Chance also did a fine job filling in at pitcher.

In the end, we got the W as the final score was WPC 20 vs. VM Disciples 14 (It had been 20-6 before the last inning.)

This game was a lot of fun, and a great start to the second half of our season. We are now 2-3 on the season and looking to pick up steam heading through the remainder of the regular season and into the tournament. We have another early game (6:15) next week, and I hope that allows many of you to come out and join us for the game. Hope to see you there.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

To clarify, there were two different situations where double plays were within reach, and Skip and I each made a mistake to mess one of them up. Ironically, his mistake was not running to the bag when I needed him to, and mine was running to the bag when he needed me to get out of the way.

I still can't believe that I let that grounder through my legs in the first inning: I think I'll bench myself next week just to let me stew over it for a while.